From: "Harald van Dijk" <truedfx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving virtual/eject to new-style virtual
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 11:28:43
1 On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 12:38:55PM +0200, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > So, right now virtual/eject is the old-style virtual that gets listed in
3 > virtuals file in the profiles, defaulting to sys-apps/eject that is Linux
4 > only.
5 >
6 > I would like to move it to a new-style virtual to make it simpler to handlef
7 > or other platforms, having the deps this way:
8 >
9 > || ( kernel_linux? ( sys-apps/eject ) sys-block/unieject kernel_FreeBSD? (
10 > sys-apps/eject-bsd ) )
11 >
12 > this way when used with a kernel different by Linux it defaults to unieject
13 > (my reimplementation) that using libcdio would be simpler to port.
14 >
15 > Thoughts?
16
17 (I've been meaning to ask this for a while, it's not specific to
18 virtual/eject.)
19
20 How does it help? New-style virtuals have several disadvantages, and the
21 usual advantages of new-style virtuals don't apply here. If it actually
22 provides real benefits, then no objections from me, but how is this
23 easier to maintain than a "virtual/eject sys-block/unieject" entry in
24 the default-bsd profile?
25 --
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list