From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Segregating KDE?
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:35:55
1 On Saturday 18 September 2004 22:19, Seemant Kulleen wrote:
2 > The way I see it is that part of the problem with dependency resolution
3 > is that we're source based. Debian and the other binary based distros
4 > have an easier time because for them it (probably) boils down to compile
5 > once, and then split the binaries, libraries and headers into separate
6 > binary trees and do the dependency resolution on those. For example,
7 > you compile kdelibs, separate out kdelib and khtml and make the latter
8 > depend on the former, et voila. With Gentoo this process takes on a
9 > much much higher complexity.
10
11 I'm probably missing your point. How are the dependencies more complex for us?
12 KDE apps have very few DEPENDS that aren't also RDEPENDS, so if we had
13 separate ebuilds for all the apps, it would be relatively easy to enter all
14 the dependencies - it would only require major effort once.
15
16 AFAICS the only complex dependency issue arises if you want to separate
17 kdelibs into pieces as well, and iirc even debian doesn't go that far; I
18 don't think we need to, either.
19
20 Come to think of it, there is one other issue; some kde makefiles are badly
21 written, and link against libraries built in the source tree under $S rather
22 than against installed libraries under /usr/kde/.... To separate the library
23 and app into two ebuilds we'd need to fix such makefiles. Because I'm
24 speaking from somewhat dated knowledge here, and have nevr actually tried to
25 fix such makefiles ;-), I don't know how difficult it'd be or how widespread
26 the problem is today.
27
28 Anything else I'm forgetting?
31 Dan Armak
32 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
33 Matan, Israel
34 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
35 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951