From: Brandon Hale <tseng@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Status of GLEP 16
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 14:09:31
1 On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 12:42 +0200, Heinrich Wendel wrote:
2
3 > * KDE 3.2 (x86) supports this specification
4 > * GNOME 2.6 (~x86) support this specification
5 > * domenu[12_] has to be included in portage to be used by the ebuilds to
6 > install a desktop entry
7 > * Somebody needs to write patches for the other WM's:
8
9 This is the problem for me.. I am not capable or interested in patching
10 a dozen or more wm's for something I'll never use. Also, from further
11 discussions with foser on the topic, I get the impression that the idea
12 is to throw the current ability to edit the menu to my taste out the
13 window
14 and go for a menu generated completely by .desktop items. I feel that
15 other minimalistic wm folks won't like the sound of this either, could
16 you clarify the plans there? Also of note, if upstream rejects your
17 patch, you'll end up maintaining it for life, updating as often as
18 upstream moves a few things in their own menu code.
19
20 So the questions are, *who* is the somebody who will patch all these
21 wm's, and will I have to use it?
22
23 Thanks,
24 Brandon Hale