From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 15:47:02
1 On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 08:07:14AM -0500 or thereabouts, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > Sounds like you'd rather take Gentoo back a few years to the days before
3 > Hardened/Embedded/Alt. I guess we really should just be "Gentoo Linux"
4 > and ignore all of the progress and work that has been made in all of
5 > these other areas simply because it doesn't fit with your goals.
6
7 I've never stated any specific goals. I've simply said we should have
8 some. Please stop putting words in my mouth.
9
10 > I'd like to also propose that we drop support for sparc, mips, sh, m68k,
11 > s390, arm, and alpha, since they detract from our main goals of providing
12 > amd64/ppc/x86 releases. After all, who really uses those "other" arches
13 > anyway but a bunch of guys that never have good ideas or improve quality
14 > of the distribution as a whole and constantly distract us away from
15 > getting anything constructive done?
16
17 straw man argument. Maybe the best direction for gentoo is focusing on
18 embedded, maybe it's focusing on x86, maybe it's dropping Linux entirely
19 and moving over to OpenSolaris and building tools around that. I never
20 stated any opinions in this area so why are you trying to state them for
21 me?
22
23 It's pathetic that we, as a distribution, cannot have a civil discussion of
24 any kind.
25
26 --kurt