From: MIkey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: bootstrapping since gcc 3.4 is stable
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 14:39:01
1 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2
3 > First of all, the object to be as fast as possible has been dropped as
4 > main gentoo goal years ago. Stage 3 is indeed based on an old base. It
5 > however starts you with a working system in which all assumptions made by
6 > ebuilds about the system are true. This means one should expect a stage 3
7 > to have no problems emerging any package. This is not true for a stage 1
8 > or stage 2.
9
10 The expectation of a stage3 having no problems emerging any package is only
11 true if you don't stray from the preselected desktop-centric USE flags that
12 were used to build the stage3 in the first place. When building a suitable
13 environment for a server, in my case, the very first thing I have to
14 contend with is blockages and pruning in just the right order.
15
16 In my experience, your assumption is reversed. A build from stage1 does not
17 run into the problems inherent with a stage3.
20 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list