From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [2&3]/3 API & files
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 19:44:41
1 On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 02:08:00PM +0200, Alex Legler wrote:
2 > On 16.06.2013 03:21, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 > >> Special pages and contents
4 > >> --------------------------
5 > >> herds.xml, repositories.xml, etc.:
6 > >> As these are intended for other applications to use, these should go to
7 > >> a new site, possibly api.gentoo.org, initially fed from a git repository.
8 > >> This site should get backed by SSL.
9 > > Here's a partial list of the ones I know about:
10 > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/overlays/repositories.xml
11 > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/treecleaners/maintainer-needed.xml
12 > > http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors3.xml
13 > > Both of these are broken I think:
14 > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/perl/outdated-cpan-packages.xml
15 > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/perl/outdated-cpan-packages-perl-experimental.xml
16 > >
17 > > - Do you know of more?
18 >
19 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/metastructure/herds/herds.xml
20 >
21 > > - How can we better encourage these to move to an API site?
22 > Not sure what you mean with that.
23 It needs to be really easy for any developer to throw up a new data
24 source w/ scripts onto the API site.
25
26 Even qa-reports is somewhat stalled, and doesn't have good visibility,
27 because it's not that easy for any dev to add something new to it.
28
29 > >> Image resources:
30 > >> These can be uploaded to the Wiki.
31 > > How can we ensure later that the media files don't get deleted?
32 > Deletion is restricted to administrators, mediawiki also keeps old
33 > versions around in case someone reuploads a file.
34 > To prevent even that, we can restrict editing certain assets to developers.
35 See my other comment about git-mediawiki maybe, that would satisfy my
36 needs, just having old versions of the images around as needed (not
37 admin-deletable).
38
39 > >> Other files and downloads:
40 > >> Until proper project file hosting is implemented, again a simple
41 > >> git-backed static site, possibly projects.gentoo.org.
42 > > Please don't put lots of binary files in Git.
43 > >
44 > How do we expose that site to developers then? Akin to the mirroring
45 > system on d.g.o?
46 I need to dust off the project hosting proposal, because there are a lot
47 of files that need to move to it (like all the elections & PR
48 materials).
51 Robin Hugh Johnson
52 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Trustee & Infrastructure Lead
53 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
54 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85