From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: scarabeus@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in media-sound/cdparanoia: ChangeLog cdparanoia-3.10.2-r3.ebuild
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 13:28:14
1 On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 10/23/2011 03:00 PM, Tomas Chvatal (scarabeus) wrote:
3 >> scarabeus    11/10/23 12:00:55
4 >>
5 >>   Modified:             ChangeLog cdparanoia-3.10.2-r3.ebuild
6 >>   Log:
7 >>   Bump to eapi4 and punt static libs.
8 >
9 > Time to revert this commit as I don't see anything in the ebuild that
10 > disables building the static archives at compile phase.
11 >
12 > This is same as hiding the problem, not solving it. Not the way we do
13 > things at sound@.
14 >
15 >> +     use static-libs || find "${ED}" -name '*.a' -exec rm -f {} +
16
17 Doesn't reverting this seem a bit like shooting yourself in the foot
18 to remove an ingrown toenail?
19
20 Unless I'm missing something this DOES get rid of the unneeded
21 archives. Now, sure, you'd save a few milliseconds of CPU if they
22 weren't built in the first place. However, you're proposing replacing
23 an ebuild that builds but doesn't install undesired files with one
24 that builds them AND installs them (since the hypothetical ebuild that
25 does neither doesn't exist yet).
26
27 Perfection shouldn't hold us back from improvement. By all means open
28 up a bug asking for the next level of improvement if it really bothers
29 people.
30
31 Now, if there is some subtle issue that causes issues during build if
32 the files are there and only removed at the last minute then clearly
33 that is a bigger problem.
34
35 Rich