From: Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Democracy: No silver bullet
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 17:20:16
1 On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 06:29:03PM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > Quite frankly, I think that with a properly run community, there should
3 > be no need for a "Developer Relations" project, since it should be
4 > mostly self-policing.
5
6 With 300+ people, i severely doubt self policing would work. I assume
7 you were mostly thinking about conflict resolution when you wrote
8 this, but there are other things like
9 - recruitment
10 - retirement of developers that
11 - quit
12 - go AWOL
13 etc.
14
15 In an ideal world with a self-policing community this could work out,
16 however i rather tend to assume one of these things happen in the real
17 world:
18 - People get recruited by anyone in whatever way and have no idea about
19 our policies, breaking the tree in their first commit.
20 - Developers retire and no one removes their access due to lack of
21 procedure
22 - Devs go AWOL, no one notices. If someone notices, perhaps he starts
23 volunteering doing this kind of clean-up work, and technically a new
24 devrel project emerges.
25
26 > Beyond that, the leadership should have the power
27 > and the ability to take care of problems in a timely manner without the
28 > need for droves of bureaucratic process.
29
30 The process (http://dev.gentoo.org/~plasmaroo/policy.xml) is
31 reorganized and should fulfill both your concern for a timely manner
32 and is much less bureaucratic.
33
34 Also, there's a lot of stuff happening other than the conflict
35 resolution stuff with regard to ombudsman and often kloeri resolving
36 things - you don't read that on the news, but i'm not sure if council
37 members should spend a lot of their time to resolve silly conflicts
38 between devs, they're elected make decisions, not obsolete devrel. ;-)
39 Btw, the new policy also includes the possibility of refering a
40 decision to the council in certain cases, see "Resolution and Appeal".
41
42 > I'm sure nearly every member
43 > of devrel would agree that they would love to see a Gentoo where devrel
44 > simply wasn't needed.
45
46 I assume you're only refering to conflict resolution again, and i
47 agree it would be great. I just don't think this is ever going to
48 happen as long there are more than 50 developers.
49
50 cheers,
51 Wernfried
54 Wernfried Haas (amne) - amne at gentoo dot org
55 Gentoo Forums: http://forums.gentoo.org
56 IRC: #gentoo-forums on freenode - email: forum-mods at gentoo dot org