From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Democracy: No silver bullet
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 22:33:52
1 On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 14:54 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > It's very easy to claim that "there are too many flamewars", even if
3 > that isn't actually true. It's hard to claim "Portage needs replacing,
4 > the tree has huge QA issues, several archs are horribly unmaintained and
5 > too many developers don't have a clue what they're doing" because a)
6 > they're difficult problems to address, b) if you do say them, Condorcet
7 > ensures that you won't get elected and c) you might be expected to fix
8 > them.
9
10 Well, I've held of on replying to this thread for a bit, mostly due to
11 lack of time since taking a week off for LWE, but also because I really
12 wanted to formulate what I wanted to say properly. Forgive me, but your
13 post just seemed like a good place to comment.
14
15 As far as the "claims" that you posted, I definitely agree with all of
16 them except the "portage needs replacing" one, and that is mostly due to
17 my lack of knowledge of the internals of portage. I simply don't think
18 I know enough about it to speak with any authority.
19
20 I *am* running for the council this time around. Quite frankly, I would
21 love to work on fixing these problems, and I know that many of the
22 people running for the council do, too.
23
24 > Most of these problems could be solved if we had a council that was far
25 > less spineless, a council that's prepared to address the *real* issues
26 > rather than doing nothing, a council that shows leadership and provides
27 > direction where it's needed without screwing things up where it's not.
28
29 I definitely agree here. What has made me decide to run for the council
30 is my wish to see things improve before we honestly do start
31 hemorrhaging developers. We have seen indications that it is coming,
32 but it hasn't started quite yet. A strong leadership is needed to give
33 us direction where needed, and also to leave people well enough alone
34 where it is not needed. I hope that all of the people elected to the
35 council are capable of doing both, as it really is what Gentoo seems to
36 need.
37
38 I also would much rather see us return to a system where the merit of
39 ones work plays a more important role in the voice one has on global
40 issues. Perhaps the idea of "one man, one vote" simply doesn't work
41 well amongst a large group of volunteers with vastly differing levels of
42 involvement. Perhaps more voting is the answer. Truthfully, I do not
43 know. However, I lean on the side of a strong set of leaders having the
44 authority to make decisions, with limited voting only to establish the
45 leaders. After all, if they're voted into office by the majority, then
46 the majority must want them to represent them, right?
47
48 > The problem with the old system was devrel's habit of holding secret
49 > meetings, Daniel's habit of going off and deciding new directions
50 > (catalyst, genkernel, ...) without consulting those who understood the
51 > issues involved and so on. The problem with the new system is that it
52 > encourages fence sitting and stagnation, and draws focus away from the
53 > real issues and onto populist mud flinging.
54
55 Quite frankly, I think that with a properly run community, there should
56 be no need for a "Developer Relations" project, since it should be
57 mostly self-policing. Beyond that, the leadership should have the power
58 and the ability to take care of problems in a timely manner without the
59 need for droves of bureaucratic process. I'm sure nearly every member
60 of devrel would agree that they would love to see a Gentoo where devrel
61 simply wasn't needed.
62
63 What I see with the upcoming newly-elected council is a chance to learn
64 from the past year and rectify our downfalls and mistakes. Let's all
65 just hope that this is what happens, rather than compounding the problem
66 further.
69 Chris Gianelloni
70 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
71 x86 Architecture Team