From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Democracy: No silver bullet
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 18:40:33
1 On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 19:13 +0200, Wernfried Haas wrote:
2 > On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 06:29:03PM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > Quite frankly, I think that with a properly run community, there should
4 > > be no need for a "Developer Relations" project, since it should be
5 > > mostly self-policing.
6 >
7 > With 300+ people, i severely doubt self policing would work. I assume
8 > you were mostly thinking about conflict resolution when you wrote
9 > this, but there are other things like
10
11 You assumed wrong. While I was mostly thinking about conflict
12 resolution, I still don't think that in a properly run project there is
13 a need for an "HR" project.
14
15 > - recruitment
16
17 This goes into the whole thing about bringing people into the project,
18 as well as having a longer probation period. The mentor should really
19 be responsible for the developer. If things were working smoothly,
20 there really shouldn't need to be much work done for recruitment.
21 Remember, we're talking a meritocracy here. We shouldn't just be
22 bringing on some guy because he says he'll do something. We should be
23 bringing on people that have *proven* that they can and will do
24 something.
25
26 > - retirement of developers that
27 > - quit
28 > - go AWOL
29
30 See, you missed that we're talking with the idea of people belonging to
31 a project. If you work on my project and quit, I'll know. If you go
32 AWOL, I'll know. I can then simply ask Infra to remove your access. It
33 really should be that simple. If Infra is unable to do so due to being
34 understaffed, then they should get more staff.
35
36 > etc.
37 >
38 > In an ideal world with a self-policing community this could work out,
39 > however i rather tend to assume one of these things happen in the real
40 > world:
41 > - People get recruited by anyone in whatever way and have no idea about
42 > our policies, breaking the tree in their first commit.
43
44 Uhh... like this hasn't happened in the past?
45
46 > - Developers retire and no one removes their access due to lack of
47 > procedure
48
49 If the developer belongs to a project, the manager knows it and asks for
50 their removal. Is there need for any more procedure than that?
51
52 > - Devs go AWOL, no one notices. If someone notices, perhaps he starts
53 > volunteering doing this kind of clean-up work, and technically a new
54 > devrel project emerges.
55
56 See, you seem to be assuming that I haven't thought this through. It
57 would be impossible for a developer to go AWOL without their
58 manager/lead/whatever you want to call them noticing if everyone were a
59 member of a project. This doesn't mean you can only be on one project,
60 it means you must be on *at least* one project. No more projects, no
61 longer a developer. It's simple, yet effective.
62
63 > > Beyond that, the leadership should have the power
64 > > and the ability to take care of problems in a timely manner without the
65 > > need for droves of bureaucratic process.
66 >
67 > The process (http://dev.gentoo.org/~plasmaroo/policy.xml) is
68 > reorganized and should fulfill both your concern for a timely manner
69 > and is much less bureaucratic.
70
71 It does not fulfill my concerns in any way. Developer Relations is not
72 Gentoo's leadership.
73
74 > Also, there's a lot of stuff happening other than the conflict
75 > resolution stuff with regard to ombudsman and often kloeri resolving
76 > things - you don't read that on the news, but i'm not sure if council
77 > members should spend a lot of their time to resolve silly conflicts
78 > between devs, they're elected make decisions, not obsolete devrel. ;-)
79
80 With a proper structure, the council wouldn't need to be concerned with
81 this sort of thing. Here's an oversimplified example.
82
83 You are in projects A, B, and C. You haven't done anything for project
84 A in six months, and the manager has noticed, and removed you from his
85 project. He looks to see if you are in other projects, which you are,
86 so he is done. He *could* email the other project leads at this point
87 to see if you're still active, but it wouldn't be required. Each
88 project maintains itself, after all. Project B has done the same since
89 you haven't done anything for them in 3 months. Project C's manager
90 notices that you haven't done anything in 2 months, with no word that
91 you were leaving. He also notices that you aren't in any other
92 projects, so he reopens your dev bug and asks infra to retire you.
93 Process completed and no council involvement, whatsoever.
94
95 The same sort of process really should be used for conflict resolution.
96 Hell, at least our current policies dictate this, but it never happens,
97 in practice. Instead, everybody goes directly to devrel. If two
98 developers within a single project have a conflict. It goes to that
99 project's manager. If it is between two devs in two projects, it goes
100 to those two managers. The only reason it would need council
101 involvement is if the managers cannot make a decision themselves, or
102 possibly on appeal. There's really no other reason for council
103 involvement.
104
105 > Btw, the new policy also includes the possibility of refering a
106 > decision to the council in certain cases, see "Resolution and Appeal".
107
108 I've read the policy.
109
110 > > I'm sure nearly every member
111 > > of devrel would agree that they would love to see a Gentoo where devrel
112 > > simply wasn't needed.
113 >
114 > I assume you're only refering to conflict resolution again, and i
115 > agree it would be great. I just don't think this is ever going to
116 > happen as long there are more than 50 developers.
117
118 Quit assuming I mean anything, you're batting zero for two right now.
119
120 Luckily, I wasn't asking if you thought it was possible. I've merely
121 been stating that it should be possible. There are countless projects
122 out there, many with many more developers than Gentoo, that are capable
123 of maintaining themselves quite well. Why are we so different?
126 Chris Gianelloni
127 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
128 x86 Architecture Team
129 Games - Developer
130 Gentoo Linux