From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 17:12:19
1 I wanted to take this thread in a slightly different direction so that
2 the council has a little more to work with tomorrow. Obviously there
3 are multiple opinions on whether a problem currently exists - and the
4 council will need to decide on this. If no problem currently exists
5 they will likely take no action. However, if a problem does exist, what
6 would be a reasonable solution?
7
8 Here's a proposal. Maybe not a great one - feel free to come up with
9 others (other than just do nothing - if we are going to do nothing we
10 don't need to work out what that will be). I think it gives arch teams
11 a fair amount of time to keep up with stable requests, but also allows
12 package maintainers to eventually get rid of cruft. The exact
13 timeframes are of course the easiest and most obvious things to modify.
14
15 My hope is that this will give everybody something to think about so
16 that if a decision to enact policy is made tomorrow the policy is a good
17 one...
20 Ebuild Stabilization Time
21
22 Arch teams will normally have until the LATER of the following two dates
23 to stabilize ebuilds for non-security-related issues:
24 1. 60 days from the day the last substantial change was made to the
25 ebuild (clock resets if a non-trivial change is made to the ebuild).
26 That's 30 days to allow the package to be proven stable, and 30 days to
27 do something about it.
28 2. 30 days from the day a bug was filed and keyworded STABLEREQ and the
29 arch was CCed and the maintainer either filed the bug or commented that
30 it was OK to stabilize (clock starts when all of these conditions are met).
31
32 Perhaps the guideline should be one week on both time periods for
33 security bugs.
36 Technical Problems With Ebuild Revisions
37
38 If an arch team finds a technical problem with an ebuild preventing
39 stabilization a bug will be logged as a blocker for the stable keyword
40 request. The bug being resolved counts as a substantial change for the
41 purpose of #1 above.
44 Removing Stable Ebuilds.
45
46 If an ebuild meets the time criteria above and there are no technical
47 issues preventing stabilization, then the maintainer MAY choose to
48 delete an older version even if it is the most recent stable version for
49 a particular arch.
50
51 If an ebuild meets the time criteria and there IS a technical problem
52 preventing stabilization, but the package is subject to security issues,
53 the maintainer MAY choose to mask the vulnerable versions in package.mask.
54
55 If an ebuild does not meet the time criteria or there is a technical
56 problem preventing stabilization and there isn't an outstanding security
57 issue, then the maintainer must not remove the highest-versioned stable
58 ebuild for any given arch.
61 Spirit of Cooperation
62
63 Ebuild maintainers and arch teams are encouraged to work together for
64 the sake of each other and end users in facilitating the testing and
65 maintenance of ebuilds on obscure hardware or where obscure expertise is
66 needed. Package maintainers are encouraged to use discretion when
67 removing ebuilds in accordance with this policy.
68 --
69 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list