From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: AT emerge info cruft > attachments on bugs.g.o
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 22:05:32
1 On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 14:44:13 -0400
2 Thomas Cort <tcort@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 19:50:55 +0200
5 > Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > I propose the `emerge --info` included in arch testers' comments on
8 > > stabilisation bugs should rather be posted as attachments. The AT
9 > > comments clog up the bugs and are usually not interesting at all to
10 > > devs other than those who are arch devs for the relevant arches.
11
12 The problem with attachments is that processing the report takes longer
13 - you have to go to the web to read the attachment to find out what
14 config worked (or failed, if that was the case). It's best to have it
15 in-line, I think.
16
17 If you're not interested in the AT emerge --info data, why are you
18 watching the stabilisation bug?
19
20 > > It would certainly improve my RSI not to have to scroll past them.
21 >
22 > Why do arch testers need to post `emerge --info` if everything works?
23
24 So that you know what configuration worked. This is useful information.
25
26 > Shouldn't we be able to trust that they have sane CFLAGS, proper
27 > FEATURES, and an up to date system?
28
29 It's not about trust, it's about knowing what the CFLAGS/FEATURES
30 were. That way if someone else reports a failure, you can compare the
31 reports and see what differences might be triggering the fault.
34 Kevin F. Quinn