From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: The KDE overlay moves forward
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 08:04:37
1 Wulf C. Krueger wrote:
2
3 > For quite some time now, our progress has been impaired by the absence of
4 > features like USE dependencies, ranged dependencies and suggested
5 > dependencies.
6 >
7 How do suggested dependencies help in your work?
8
9 > Most of us who are working on the overlay have been using alternative
10 > package managers (PM) for quite some time now. Thus, the idea arose to go
11 > a step further and actually make good use of the capabilities they offer
12 > us.
13 >
14 Makes sense; after all you can do whatever you want in an overlay without
15 concern for how it will affect anyone else.
16
17 > You'll find all the details in the following local copy of PMS with the
18 > kdebuild-1 patch applied: http://www.mailstation.de/pms.pdf
19 >
20 Thanks, I'll have a closer look when I get some downtime.
21
22 > For starters, we'll be using the new EAPI for live ebuilds (${PV}=-scm)
23 > only, so that users of other PMs will be able to use the rest of the
24 > overlay as before. That's exactly what the kdebuild-1 EAPI was designed
25 > to allow for.
26 >
27 > For users of the KDE overlay's live ebuilds the new EAPI currently means
28 > they will have to use Paludis but there are rumours ;) other PMs are
29 > interested as well. That's the main reason to optionally include it in
30 > PMS.
31 >
32 Could you explain exactly what -scm-foo offers over the existing -cvs
33 implementation? I'm assuming it's something more than what you've outlined
34 here.
35
36 A bit more info on how the other features have helped would be nice (maybe a
37 GMN article?)
38
39 Thanks.
43 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list