From: Gontran <locuchon@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new guides
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 01:01:52
1 * Achim Gottinger (AGottinger@××××××××.de) wrote:
2 > Gontran wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Hi Achim, devers,
5 > >
6 > > I'm willing to sort through any docs you care to write and correct for
7 > > English grammar and whatnot, I stand to learn something about the project that
8 > > way.
9 >
10 > Fine, thank you. I send you my docs at the end of the week.
11 > >
12 > > On another note ...
13 > >
14 > > Bled the ISO last night, hoping to boot the kernel on VIA board with Cyrix MII
15 > > (via chipset: VT82C598MVP), grub popped up nicely (yea!), selected top option,
16 > > got some proper looking boot messages then all kind of scrolling hex numbers
17 > > and total lock.
18 > >
19 > > I understand that there's some issues with some via sets ... have a 486 with
20 > > 32 Mb I'll try next, I'd give it a shot now, but it won't boot off the cdrom
21 > > and I find myself without a working 3.5 floppy drive for bootdisk making.
22 > > Any insights?
23 >
24 > I send the whole last weekend on a rescue disk system and want to update
25 > and rework
26 > the whole boot concept on the next weekend.
27 > In theory the latest iso should work on any >=i486 system, but it
28 > doesn't.
29 > I have tested it on a K62/VIA board here with success.
30 > Yesterday I tried to boot the rescue system on a Compaq armada laptop
31 > had it hangs after
33 > I'm planning to boot the bootimage directly from the cd, becuase mkisofs
34 > now allows the use of images other that fd for booting. If it works I
35 > can add alot of different kernels to the image and there is no more need
36 > to scan for the cdrom device and mount the iso image loopback.
37 > This solution should work for you too.
38 >
39 > Does your 486 cdrom allow boot off the cdrom?
40
41 Unfortunately, no. But there is another machine around here with a floppy
42 that works, come to think of it. I'll make the floppies there and give it
43 another try on the cyrix.
44
45 Gontran
48 > achim~