From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Should we allow picture files in the Portage tree?
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 12:05:24
1 On 13/02/14 17:12, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > When rewriting the script scanning for binary files in the Portage
3 > tree [1], I noticed that there are some 25 XPM and SVG image files,
4 > with sizes up to 13 kB.
5 >
6 > For the time being, I've added exceptions for MIME types image/svg+xml
7 > and image/x-xpmi [2], but I think it would be better to clarify our
8 > policy on this. The devmanual currently says:
9 >
10 > | Things that do not belong in the tree:
11 > | * Large patches
12 > | * Non-text files
13 > | * Photos of teletubbies
14 > | * Files whose name starts with a dot
15 >
16 > Should we allow pictures if the image file format is a text file?
17
18 wasn't the whole argument for not allowing binary files in tree the
19 problems it causes w/ version control
20 history, web interface, and such?
21 then, what problems does .xpm or .svg cause? none, far as I know, so why
22 disallow them?