From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>, bugzilla@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] bugs.g.o: Killing VERIFIED state, possibly introducing STABILIZED
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 13:59:03
1 On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 9:52 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 16 Jun 2016 15:14:44 +0200
3 > Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 06/16/2016 03:02 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
6 >> > Hello, everyone.
7 >> >
11 >> >
12 >> > What I'd like to introduce instead is a new STABILIZED state. It would
13 >> > -- like VERIFIED now -- be only available for bugs already RESOLVED,
14 >> > and it could be used to signify that the fix has made it into stable.
15 >> >
16 >> > While this wouldn't be really obligatory, it would be meaningful for
17 >> > trackers that need to ensure that fixes in packages have made it to
18 >> > stable -- like the functions.sh use tracker.
19 >> >
20 >>
21 >> The description of InVCS keyword in bugzilla is:
22 >> InVCS Fix has been added to a VCS(either CVS, SVN, Git, ...)
23 >> repository. Will be closed when fixes are applied to a stable level package.
24 >>
25 >> A bug isn't resolved until it is fixed in a stable package (for packages
26 >> ever in stable to begin with), but InVCS keyword can be used by
27 >> developers to filter out the bugs for issues to work with. I oppose a
28 >> change to that behavior, although I would like to see it being used more
29 >> consistently as it seems quite a few developers are neglecting the
30 >> stable tree.
31 >
32 > How would that work for Portage? There 'InVCS' indicates that the fix
33 > has landed in git (i.e. in -9999, not yet released).
36 That could actually be generalized. I could see many types of bugs
37 where the issue is with upstream, and we might want to track the
38 progress as upstream implements a fix, releases it, and then it is
39 stabilized on Gentoo. So, maybe we need another state to track in
40 upstream's VCS vs the Gentoo repo.
41
42 Another approach would be to distinguish between portage as a
43 Gentoo-hosted upstream, and portage as a package in the Gentoo repo.
44 The same could apply to any Gentoo-hosted project.
48 Rich