From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>, gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: bugzilla@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] bugs.g.o: Killing VERIFIED state, possibly introducing STABILIZED
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 16:00:58
1 On 06/17/2016 03:58 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 9:52 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Thu, 16 Jun 2016 15:14:44 +0200
4 >> Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On 06/16/2016 03:02 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
7 >>>> Hello, everyone.
8 >>>>
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>>
12 >>>>
13 >>>> What I'd like to introduce instead is a new STABILIZED state. It would
14 >>>> -- like VERIFIED now -- be only available for bugs already RESOLVED,
15 >>>> and it could be used to signify that the fix has made it into stable.
16 >>>>
17 >>>> While this wouldn't be really obligatory, it would be meaningful for
18 >>>> trackers that need to ensure that fixes in packages have made it to
19 >>>> stable -- like the functions.sh use tracker.
20 >>>>
21 >>>
22 >>> The description of InVCS keyword in bugzilla is:
23 >>> InVCS Fix has been added to a VCS(either CVS, SVN, Git, ...)
24 >>> repository. Will be closed when fixes are applied to a stable level package.
25 >>>
26 >>> A bug isn't resolved until it is fixed in a stable package (for packages
27 >>> ever in stable to begin with), but InVCS keyword can be used by
28 >>> developers to filter out the bugs for issues to work with. I oppose a
29 >>> change to that behavior, although I would like to see it being used more
30 >>> consistently as it seems quite a few developers are neglecting the
31 >>> stable tree.
32 >>
33 >> How would that work for Portage? There 'InVCS' indicates that the fix
34 >> has landed in git (i.e. in -9999, not yet released).
37 > That could actually be generalized. I could see many types of bugs
38 > where the issue is with upstream, and we might want to track the
39 > progress as upstream implements a fix, releases it, and then it is
40 > stabilized on Gentoo. So, maybe we need another state to track in
41 > upstream's VCS vs the Gentoo repo.
42
43 For a great deal of this we have UPSTREAM keyword, and also combination
44 with PATCH keyword if we've submitted an own patch.
47 > Another approach would be to distinguish between portage as a
48 > Gentoo-hosted upstream, and portage as a package in the Gentoo repo.
49 > The same could apply to any Gentoo-hosted project.
50
51 Makes sense
54 Kristian Fiskerstrand
55 OpenPGP certificate reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
56 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3