From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Server hardaware give away (misc archs)
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2017 14:53:54
1 On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 07:44:00 -0700
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > In general I would just comment that if anything we get too few
5 > requests for spending money and not too many.
6
7 Not surprising, though I had ideas on lots of spending, events, travel
8 reimbursement, developer systems, etc.
9
10 > I don't think the Foundation would be able to just go buying PCs for
11 > every dev on request, but for one-offs like these they might chip in.
12
13 More like the Foundation/Gentoo should have some plan and/or budget as
14 to how to put the funds to use etc. Which gives others reasons to
15 donate more when they can see where the funds are being used, the
16 benefit etc.
17
18 Example
19 https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Budget2016.pdf
20
21 > One thing that should be considered in these sorts of requests is who
22 > owns the hardware and where it will be kept and what kind of access
23 > other devs on the relevant teams would have. I think there ought to
24 > be a difference between how we treat hardware that is owned by the
25 > Foundation and always available to devs, vs something that somebody
26 > intends to use for Gentoo work right now, but where ownership resides
27 > with the individual and there is no obligation to give the hardware to
28 > somebody else if they stop contributing. To the extent that the costs
29 > are more nominal the Foundation should probably exercise more leeway.
30
31 In an ideal sense, equipment like this would go to something like OSU
32 OSL or some other hosting provider. Though there is the cost of
33 bandwidth, power, and man power to service hardware issues. Not to
34 mention rack, provision, etc.
35
36 Donate gear to Gentoo to be used/accessed by any dev, and maybe some
37 others. I think Gentoo should have more internal resources available
38 for developers to use. Then again I had lots of ideas for Gentoo....
41 William L. Thomson Jr.