From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Council meeting Thursday October 13th
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:38:36
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote: [Tue Oct 11 2005, 04:10:28PM CDT]
2 > I think the point is that they should match. It was also quite obvious
3 > after the comments on the thread, that this is one of those things that
4 > probably won't ever be solved by consensus. Is this not the exact thing
5 > that the Council is there to do, to make decisions that we cannot agree
6 > on ourselves?
7
8 Um, sort of? The council exists mainly to make cross-project decisions.
9 I suppose that this issue counts, since it involves both the baselayout
10 folks and the GDP, but the GDP doesn't really care which logger is
11 installed by virtual/logger, as long as they know when it changes. As
12 such, I would say that it's up to the package maintainers (base-system)
13 to make that decision. Oh, I suppose that if base-system were to choose
14 poorly, and large numbers of devs were upset, then the council would get
15 involved, but this issue just doesn't seem that contentious. I've heard
16 lots of people state that they would rather have logger "foo" as the
17 default, but those same people will just shrug and install their
18 favorite if foo isn't chosen. It's just not that big a deal.
19 If the council chooses to address this issue I'm hardly going to
20 complain, but I don't really think that it's worth their time.
21
22 -g2boojum-
23 --
24 Grant Goodyear
25 Gentoo Developer
26 g2boojum@g.o
27 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
28 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76