From: Doug Klima <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in eclass: flag-o-matic.eclass
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 14:42:46
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 08:44:43 -0500
3 > Doug Klima <cardoe@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> A better statement on your part would have been "We need to ensure
6 >> compatibility for the greatest amount of users and requiring users to
7 >> have a version of Portage released after January 4th when it's only
8 >> the middle of February is not going to ensure the greatest
9 >> compatibility. The previous policy was always 6 months between breaks
10 >> like this." You're free to reword the above to however you see fit.
13 > You mean "the change should of course have been an EAPI bump".
14 >
15 > hth,
16 >
17 As it's been explained to me by one of your fellow PMS developers, since
18 EAPI=0 is not complete yet, there will be no work on further EAPIs until
19 EAPI=0 is complete. Since this is the case and we still need to make
20 changes, we must revert back to the previous policy with regard to changes.
21
22 I personally would love to see EAPI=0 published as a draft for users and
23 developers to see. I feel that it's going to be one of those things
24 that's going to be difficult to nail down do the the nature of a whole
25 package manager being developed without any specifications . Writing a
26 concrete set of specifications after the fact, which encompass every
27 little nook and cranny, is a difficult and tedious process that requires
28 testing every single code path.
29 --
30 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list