From: flameeyes@gmail.com (Diego 'Flameeyes' =?utf-8?Q?Petten=C3=B2?=)
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Moving HOMEPAGE out of ebuilds for the future
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 13:24:21
1 I have a very quick proposal: why don't we move the packages' homepage
2 in metadata.xml (since it's usually unique for all the versions) and we
3 get rid of the variable for the next EAPI version?
4
5 This makes it easier to get the package's homepage for submitting bugs
6 upstream (you just do a single lookup for the metadata.xml file rather
7 than checking the ebuild; ensures that homepage changes don't get stale
8 for old revisions, avoids commits on old ebuilds for home page changes
9 (and thus changes that propagates on mirrors, and so on. It also makes
10 searching by homepage easier (a search program would take much less time
11 to parse XML that an ebuild).
12
13 I would propose an implementation of this that takes in consideration
14 also older proposals of having a way to specify upstream and
15 gentoo-specific information, something among the lines of this:
16
17 <link type="homepage">http://package.foobar.com</link>
18 <link type="bugtracker">http://package.foobar.com/bugs</link>
19
20 and for gentoo-specific
21
22 <link type="gentoo:devel" title="foobar maintainer's
23 guide">http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/foo/foobar</link>
24
25 <link
26 type="gentoo:user" title="foobar usage
27 guide">http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/foobar.xml</link>
28
29 Please submit all comments, as long as they are not "I don't like XML"
30 or "XML is the wrong answer" and similar since the point here is not to
31 discuss the format of metadata but rather where to have it.
34 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
35 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/