From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Proposal: ban mirror://gentoo/ from ebuilds
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 10:00:31
1 On 08/18/2011 05:53 AM, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
2 > Il giorno gio, 18/08/2011 alle 05.46 -0400, Anthony G. Basile ha
3 > scritto:
4 >>
5 >> What alternative are you proposing to mirror://gentoo/ if upstream
6 >> doesn't provide a tarball, eg with large patchsets the maintainer
7 >> constructs? Anticipating your answer might be "keep them in your dev
8 >> space", then what would be the deprecation policy for distfiles that
9 >> are
10 >> no longer used by ebuilds? If foresee a tension between keeping all
11 >> the
12 >> distfiles vs disk space, although Patrick's point of cheap hardware is
13 >> well taken.
14 >
15 > Keep it in your dev space. As I said, the resources argument is only
16 > available for infra to complain about, and since last I knew from them
17 > was that it was not a problem right now...
20 Understood that infra gets to complain, but that still doesn't tell me
21 what the deprecation policy is. Keep all my large patchsets
22 indefinitely? Or remove them when an ebuild no longer needs them? Or 1
23 year after an ebuild no longer needs them?
26 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
27 Chair of Information Technology
28 D'Youville College
29 Buffalo, NY 14201