From: Tim Harder <radhermit@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Services and software which is critical for Gentoo should be developed/run in Gentoo namespace
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 22:05:57
1 On 2020-09-16 Wed 09:36, Jonas Stein wrote:
2 > The heart of a distribution is basically its infrastructure and the
3 > tools to test, maintain and distribute packages.
4 >
5 > If a distribution relies on external sources, which are not maintained
6 > by the distribution, but a single person, it has been forked.
7 >
8 > A healthy distribution needs to maintain its own tools.
9
10 Gentoo is quite free to mirror or fork various tools it deems critical
11 to itself. All this should require is poking your favorite infra contact
12 until they set it up. Beyond that, forcing recalcitrant upstreams to
13 move is futile since Gentoo has no leverage besides asking nicely.
14
15 Speaking for myself, I avoid hosting most of my Gentoo-related work
16 (outside of gentoo repo ebuild mangling) on gentoo.org since I prefer
17 the services offered elsewhere in terms of usability, visibility, and
18 project maintenance. Take this as constructive criticism of how Gentoo
19 currently operates as an upstream host and see it as a call for putting
20 more emphasis towards deploying GitLab, Gitea, or other similar service
21 for Gentoo.
22
23 Tim