From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Place of EAPI variable in ebuild
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 19:04:32
1 Fabian Groffen kirjoitti:
2 > On 09-11-2007 23:55:51 +0200, Petteri Räty wrote:
3 >> Usually it's best that ebuild variables follow the order that is in
4 >> skel.ebuild. So know we should decide where to place EAPI. I suggest we
5 >> put it it after LICENSE as that's where the more technical stuff like
6 >> SLOT starts. Attached a patch for skel.ebuild.
7 >
8 > Just my 2 cents, I have placed EAPI right after the # $Header: line of
9 > each ebuild, as I felt that it was the first thing to know of the
10 > ebuild, as it describes how you possibly have to process the rest of the
11 > ebuild. Examples can be found in the prefix overlay, e.g.
12 > http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/alt/browser/trunk/prefix-overlay/app-shells/bash/bash-3.2_p17-r00.1.ebuild
13 >
14 > It has the advantage for me that EAPI is never hidden away somewhere
15 > down the ebuild, and it is just inserted by a simple bash script
16 > automagically (eapify in this case).
19 If we go with this solution then I guess eclasses must check for the
20 EAPI variable and then act accordingly. For example if the ebuild sets
21 EAPI=2 and the eclass is designed for EAPI=1 then it could be made to
22 die in case EAPI 2 is not backwards compatible. The main reason for me
23 asking this it that I plan to make the java eclasses use the EAPI 1
24 features.
25
26 Regards,
27 Petteri