From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] problems with new install
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:09:25
1 On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 09:21:19PM -0500, Ben Lutgens wrote:
2 > Hi all, I just installed a small system from a running system using
3 > sys-i686-20010406.tgz
4
5 Hey! A www.sistina.com (LVM) person trying Gentoo Linux! Thanks ;)
6
7 > The first and formost thing I noticed was that syslog spitting out errors
8 > everytime the logger tries to make an entry (it can't access
9 > /var/log/syslog.d/ dir) so I change the perms, now it says it can't lock the
10 > dir. So my syslog is still broken.
11
12 Did you extract the tarball using the "p" option? -->
13
14 # tar xzvpf ...
15
16 If not, then tar didn't preserve the literal directory permissions and this
17 is probably causing some problems for you.
18
19 > Next I try to add a user using adduser and that application won't even run, I
20 > get "PAM authentication failed" I did however change roots password and am
21 > still able to login.
22
23 This is a relatively ancient bug that desperately needs fixing. I'm not sure
24 exactly why PAM is barfing. If I remember correctly, it can be fixed by zapping
25 a file in /etc/pam.d.
26
27 > I'd really like to get this running at _least_ to a point where I can start to
28 > tinker with ports. I don't mind some hacking but I'd think at least the
29 > authentication should work on initial install.
30
31 I agree. One of the downsides of doing a major development project in your
32 "spare" time is that you are forced to step away from development even when
33 there are little quirks like this that you know need fixing. However, I don't
34 think there are any major quirks beyond this one.
35
36 > Other than these things everything seems to work fine, but I can't seem to add
37 > a user and don't think I'd like to run as root all the time.
38
39 Achim didn't include the "vipw" and "vigr" tools in build.tbz2?
42 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
43 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org
44 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.