From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] User support system
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 12:49:34
1 * Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o> schrieb:
2
3 <snip>
4
5 > > That somehow looks like the guided file-a-new-bug form we had some time
6 > > ago.
7 >
8 > It's still there, just not linked from homepage (and needs a few touches
9 > here and there)
10 >
11 > http://bugs.gentoo.org/enter_bug.cgi?format=guided
12 > http://bugs.gentoo.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Gentoo%20Linux&format=guided
13
14 hmm, looks like an good start, but for me doesn't go far enough.
15 The user still has to type in too much manually.
16
17 I'd suggest an tool, where the user *first* gives the package name,
18 and the tool gathers any necessary information (version, useflags,
19 make config, ...). Dependend on the package, this tool may ask specific
20 questions or gather specific information (ie. on web applications,
21 we'd be interested in webserver, browser, certain network configs, ...).
22
23 The usage should be as simple as possible for normal users, so they
24 have great interest in using it. For example, asking the user to
25 look for similar bug is probably good for devs/maintainers, but
26 uncomfortable for plain users. But we shouldn't forget, that all
27 the plain users are (in their mass) also an important contributor.
28 (they find and report bugs, which probably never would be found
29 by the maintainers).
32 cu
33 --
35 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
37 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
38 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
39 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
40 http://patches.metux.de/
42 --
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list