From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: EAPI 1 (Was: Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for April)
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 18:51:59
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 >> Why exactly does EAPI=1 need to be rushed?
3 >
4 > Because the tree needed the functionality in question several years ago.
5 >
6 >> I thought the whole point of 0 was allowing a base, so that new stuff
7 >> could be developed while guaranteeing certain behaviour. What's the
8 >> hurry? It's not like there are systems b0rking or anything because
9 >> EAPI=1 isn't around;
10 >
11 > Except there are. Hence why we want EAPI 1 in the short term, not
12 > several years from now. The stuff that will take longer can go into a
13 > later EAPI.
14 >
15 Man here we go again: I spend a lot of time helping and being helped by
16 other gentoo users. *There has been no significant system b0rkage for
17 nearly a year* *QA is getting better not worse* and *the gentoo development
18 process works*
19
20 You may have your issues with the gentoo dev team, but spreading this kinda
21 FUD is outta line imo.
22
23 3 months for specification of EAPI 1 after a year for EAPI 0 is not exactly
24 moving slowly. And there are clearly other viewpoints as to what is needed.
25 Personally speaking, I'd like to find out what those are, as it's both
26 instructive for me, and better for the distro I use.
27
28 If there really are problems with *portage* those are not your concern:
29 Paludis users presumably don't get that kinda b0rkage so all you need to do
30 is /wait/ and let the technical superiority of your product win the
31 argument.
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list