From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A few questions to our nominees
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 12:27:01
1 On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 14:18:01 +0200
2 Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
3 > > The people who wrote PMS should be able to make the decision
4 > > for themselves(as they will be maintaining it) as to what language
5 > > to use.
6 >
7 > The main point being using latex prevents people from modify it.
8
9 Are you seriously suggesting that hypothetical contributions we might
10 receive from people who hypothetically might contribute if only we used
11 XML instead of Latex outweigh all the extra work XML requires?
12
13 > > You don't *have* to read PMS in LaTeX,
14 > > which by the way makes my eyes bleed somewhat, you can read it in a
15 > > very well done PDF.
16 >
17 > The pdf renders poorly on xpdf due the fonts latex has, usually I'd
18 > rather have plain text anyway.
19
20 The PDF spec requires that PDF readers have certain fonts available,
21 and those're the fonts we're using.
24 Ciaran McCreesh