From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Conveying important upgrade messages to user community
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 18:14:28
1 On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 15:13 +0000, Daniel Drake wrote:
2 > In the meantime, could we have handled this better with the resources
3 > available to us right now? How have other people coped with similar changes?
4
5 There's also the option of posting to the many available mailing lists.
6 gentoo-dev and gentoo-user would be prime examples of places I would
7 send something likely to affect a ton of people, and the oft-suggested
8 but rarely used gentoo-announce.
9
10 When I moved fonts in X to /usr/share/fonts, I not only had a long
11 einfo, but it sat there for about 15 seconds and beeped at you. Some
12 people find this annoying, but I actually don't recall _anyone_ filing a
13 bug on difficulties with the change (yet).
14
15 Part of that may be due to it simply being fixed by running etc-update
16 and also warning about the deprecated location for a while before
17 obsoleting it.