From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LFS QA warnings coming soon to a build near you
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 14:17:11
1 On 31 May 2015 15:52, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 > On Sun, 31 May 2015 13:50:49 +0200 Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
3 > > On 31 May 2015 at 12:59, Alexis Ballier wrote:
4 > > > nice, but can't we add the lfs flags to our default toolchain flags
5 > > > or even better patch glibc headers to always redefine these
6 > > > functions to the 64bits variants?
7 > >
8 > > No, because that can easily break ABI of programs that actually want
9 > > the non-LFS one (for instance anything that wraps around function
10 > > calls, including but not limited to padsp, aoss, and similar
11 > > wrappers.)
12 >
13 > This seems easily fixed with an opt-out for lfs flags that such
14 > programs can use. They'll need to be touched to disable the QA warning
15 > anyway.
16
17 this is a discussion for upstream toolchain packages (largely glibc) and in fact
18 i started such a heretical thread over a year ago. it was not well received due
19 to the implicit/silent ABI change that new builds would receive. glibc likes to
20 be conservative as it is the foundation of everything.
21
22 so unless glibc changes, updating our copy of glibc would only somewhat help our
23 users. conversely, getting the changes pushed to the respective upstream would
24 help everyone.
25 -mike