From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LFS QA warnings coming soon to a build near you
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 14:33:42
1 On Sun, 31 May 2015 10:17:02 -0400
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 31 May 2015 15:52, Alexis Ballier wrote:
5 > > On Sun, 31 May 2015 13:50:49 +0200 Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
6 > > > On 31 May 2015 at 12:59, Alexis Ballier wrote:
7 > > > > nice, but can't we add the lfs flags to our default toolchain
8 > > > > flags or even better patch glibc headers to always redefine
9 > > > > these functions to the 64bits variants?
10 > > >
11 > > > No, because that can easily break ABI of programs that actually
12 > > > want the non-LFS one (for instance anything that wraps around
13 > > > function calls, including but not limited to padsp, aoss, and
14 > > > similar wrappers.)
15 > >
16 > > This seems easily fixed with an opt-out for lfs flags that such
17 > > programs can use. They'll need to be touched to disable the QA
18 > > warning anyway.
19 >
20 > this is a discussion for upstream toolchain packages (largely glibc)
21 > and in fact i started such a heretical thread over a year ago. it
22 > was not well received due to the implicit/silent ABI change that new
23 > builds would receive. glibc likes to be conservative as it is the
24 > foundation of everything.
25 >
26 > so unless glibc changes, updating our copy of glibc would only
27 > somewhat help our users. conversely, getting the changes pushed to
28 > the respective upstream would help everyone.
31 I'm not sure what's best for every one:
32 1. Push hundreds of patches upstream to add lfs flags;
33 2. Apply your patch to our glibc ebuilds, fix the corner cases, and go
34 back to glibc upstream with these data.
35
36 Least to say is that I'm not a big fan of lfs flags as done in glibc and
37 I certainly prefer 2., but you'd know better.
40 Alexis.