From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE 3.2.3
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 18:18:04
1 On Saturday 10 July 2004 2:18 pm, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > Besides... why in the world would you want to use KDE anyway?  Gnome is
3 > *way* better...
4
5 Wow, your desktop environment just got SERVED.
6
7 Let the flamewar begin! (not really, but I'd just like to weigh in on why
8 I use KDE...)
9
10 FWIW, I use KDE because it has everything I need, want, and didn't know I
11 wanted (and then some) ... I resisted using the desktop for quite a while
12 fearful that I would get too "married" to a particular branch of
13 technology. But as years went on I found myself using more and more KDE
14 apps, simply because they were "better" (to use your term, heh).
15
16 At some juncture it was just the next logical step to use the desktop.
17 Ever since I switched to the KDE desktop exclusively (since early 2003) it
18 has made me a lot more productive. And that's the bottom line. For the
19 things I do, KDE does them the best.
20
21 "UserLinux" might be Gnome by fiat, but users will use whatever works best
22 for them, not Bruce Perens. And KDE has more users now... and I see a lot
23 of merit in that, in the face of all the commercial promotion of Gnome by
24 RedHat, Sun, Perens and others.
25
26 Most things can be done with some equivalency in Gnome. But let's face
27 facts -- Gnome would not exist without KDE. Gnome was started as a
28 project ~1996, was built upon a toolkit that was written for an image
29 editor (gimp), for the sole purpose of making a "truly free" desktop, with
30 the implication KDE wasn't. KDE, which was built upon Qt, which was not
31 "truly free" in, whatever, 1996.
32
33 Of course that issue is moot now. Qt is GPL just like all of KDE. What
34 remains is a matter of preference, most everything else claiming
35 superiority of one over the other is hyperbole.
36
37 As a developer, I will say this: If this were some case of disliking C++ I
38 would understand, but only to a small extent. If it works as well or
39 better than competing technology, it doesn't matter (much) what the
40 language is; and Qt clearly works well.
41
42 As a user, I use what works. As a developer or director of engineering, I
43 would choose Qt/KDE over Gtk/Gnome. The job can't get done in Gtk as
44 quickly as Qt. Also, Qt does things that Gtk doesn't. (Gtk you would have
45 to tack on a few more libs in addition to the base Gtk library to be
46 mostly equivalent with what Qt does by itself).
47
48 Also compare the documentation and then tell me which you would rather work
49 with:
50
51 http://doc.trolltech.com/
52 http://www.gtk.org/api/
53
54 For the sake of the inevitable ("Trolltech controls Qt") counter-argument:
55 If Trolltech ever pulled the GPL license off a future version of Qt-X11,
56 the most recent GPL version can simply be forked. There's no indication
57 that will ever happen simply because it doesn't make any business sense
58 for Trolltech. Besides widening the user base for Qt, it gives them a
59 cheap, global QA department and quality feedback from the KDE camp.
60
61 Cheers,
62 Dylan Carlson [absinthe@g.o]
63 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x708E165F