From: "Damon M. Conway" <damon@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Secure Gentoo - What do you think?
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 09:54:38
1 Joachim Blaabjerg wrote:
2 >Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 >I was planning to use Gentoo as a base, kind of, and make "secure" Portage
5 >packages (with safe defaults etc., plus a few packages that aren't made for
6 >Gentoo yes (AFAIK), like LIDS and libsafe, plus the patched kernel).
7
8 Very cool.
9
10 >> An interesting thought here would be to have some variable set in
11 >> make.conf that if set only lets you install packages from a list of
12 >> trusted apps/version. This would be a very flexible solution. Since it
13 >> lets you have the exact same operating system on your workstation/server
14 >> while having a really secure setup on your server.
15 >
16 >Hmm... Sounds interesting!
17
18 Yes, I think you'll find that Gentoo (like BSD) has very good control over
19 the system from a very few centralized files. There should be very little
20 reason to make your changes at the lowest level. If there is, then
21 something in portage itself probably needs attention so that kind of work
22 can be avoided. It's undesirable because of the maintenance cost.
23
24 >My only "problem" right now is to figure out where to start... ;) I guess I'll
25 >have to, more or less, modify each and every one of the .ebuild files.
26
27 I think this is where eclasses could really help. Eclasses should allow
28 you to create a meta ebuild that looks for certain make.conf vars set and
29 react accordingly. danarmak and drobbins are the ones to ask for more
30 details on eclasses.
31
32 >> Otherwise the only thing I have to say, welcome to the Gentoo community!
33
34 Ditto!
35
36 kabau
39 "UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
40 would also stop you from doing clever things." --Doug Gwyn