From: "Miroslav Šulc (fordfrog)" <fordfrog@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC Package name additions
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 23:44:40
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Just a note to this. I'm co-maintainer of netbeans ebuild. Netbeans does
5 milestone releases. These are pretty stable and usable since milestone 7
6 of netbeans 6.0 with many new features that make sense to use the
7 milestone releases. I have to name the ebuilds netbeans-6.0_alpha7 etc.
8 though I was assured by mkt guy from Sun it is not yet alpha quality. It
9 would be fair to the upstream and to users to not use _alpha because it
10 is not alpha but there's no appropriate choice available.
11
12 - --
13 Miroslav ©ulc (fordfrog)
14 Gentoo/Java Team
17 William L. Thomson Jr. napsal(a):
18 > After reviewing
19 >
20 > http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/file-format/index.html#file-naming-rules
23 > I still seem to be having to finagle version names for some packages. At
24 > the moment it would be nice if we also had the following suffixes
25 > available
26 >
27 > _dev
28 > Apache upstream, specifically Tomcat/mod_jk tends to do developer
29 > snapshots that they then host out of developer space. People do fetch
30 > bins and source from there for testing. It's kinda pre-release, so I
31 > have been using _pre where I would use _dev, but _pre does not make much
32 > sense.
33 >
34 > _build
35 > Other packages seem to do constant builds (weekly) of the same version.
36 > For example Glassfish (Sun's FOSS J2EE stuff). It's sources are v2-b39.
37 > So would be nice to be able to do like glassfish-servlet-api-2_build39
38 >
39 > _snapshot
40 > This one is kinda universal in it's name/implication. Would be for any
41 > sort of upstream snapshot release, that might not be versioned as such.
42 > Short of the name snapshot being some where.
43 >
44 > The above would then follow the rest of the normal schema, where in they
45 > could still be suffixed by a number, or not.
46 >
47 > Hierarchy would be the following
48 >
49 > snapshot -> dev -> build -> alpha -> beta ....
50 >
51 > Or at least that's my thoughts on it. Time for others thoughts, much
52 > less those that will make it so. Not expecting it to get done or be
53 > available any time soon. Would be suffice if they were just accepted and
54 > planned for inclusion at some point.
65 --
66 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list