From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Help w/Install
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 08:22:55
1 "Jerry A!" wrote:
2 >
3 > On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 04:12:25PM +0200, Achim Gottinger wrote:
4 > :
5 > : You mean you can't boot from the cd?
6 > : If you can boot from a floppy and still be able to access your cdrom on
7 > : your laptop, you can
8 > : make yourself a bootfloppy from the image on the cd and replace the
9 > : kernel on that floppy.
10 >
11 > That's the problem. The BIOS on a VIAO recognize three boot devices,
12 > the hard drive, the usb floppy and the pcmcia cdrom. On boot, the BIOS
13 > make the floppy and cdrom appear as /dev/fd0. Not a problem. With the
14 > funkiness of the IDE bus, I can pass "ide1=0x180,0x386" to the kernel,
15 > and w/out loading any pcmcia drivers make the cdrom appear as device
16 > /dev/hdc. At least I could do that with rc1, rc2 and rc3. rc4_pre2
17 > breaks this behavior.
18 >
19 > So, the booting appears to work fine. It's the drive discovery/mounting
20 > that's now failing under rc4_pre2.
21 >
22 Ah I think I understand, the linuxrc program does not detect a valid
23 gentoo cd on /dev/hdc.
24 Is this correct?
27 > : You can try it, but please backup before.
28 >
29 > No need to, it'll be a fresh install. If I can setup the network card,
30 > I'll just ftp this build.tbz2 over and install it instead of the rc3
31 > one.
32
33 So you only have one partition you can use with gentoo?
34 If we don't get the iso working on your machine, a solution could be
35 using tomstbr (a single floppy distro)
36 for installation. It should have all the tools required to setup your
37 network, ftp the sys.tbz2 and install it.
38
39 achim~
42 > : I would absolutely
43 > : > appreciate it if you could do that. Hey, can you save me the effort and
44 > : > "-mcpu=i686 -march=i686" that for me? 8)
45 > :
46 > : Yes I'll use that flags. It will be a i686-pc-linux-gnu sys with
47 > : "-mpentiumpro -march=pentiumpro -O2" options.
48 > : Tell me what special kernel options you need to boot on your laptop.
49 >
50 > A standard kernel with eepro100 being supported is all I need. The nice
51 > thing about this machine is that it has a built-in EtherExpress 100 so I
52 > don't really need the PCMCIA initially.
53 >
54 > --Jerry
55 >
56 > name: Jerry Alexandratos || Open-Source software isn't a
57 > phone: 703.599.6023 || matter of life or death...
58 > email: jerry@×××××××.org || ...It's much more important
59 > || than that!
62 > gentoo-dev mailing list
63 > gentoo-dev@g.o