From: Dhruba Bandopadhyay <dhruba@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-user] How to get rid of Apache2
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 22:00:40
1 CC: gentoo-dev for raising documentation and consistency issues
2 Subject: Apache2 with mod_php
3
4 <quote who="Robin H.Johnson">
5 > On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 05:56:33PM +0100, Dhruba Bandopadhyay wrote:
6 >> I emerged apache and being on ~x86 it got apache2. Now since there
7 >> was no way in hell it was ever going to work with php for me I removed
8 >> it.
9 > Something is wrong here. I maintain PHP, and my primary testing is done
10 > on Apache2. I've been using Apache2 and PHP together on production
11 > servers since before I started using Gentoo quite successfully.
12 >
13 > Could you please file a bug about what doesn't work for you.
14
15 Hello
16
17 I have been driven to utter frustration by this issue as everyone claims
18 to have apache2 and mod_php working but no one tells me how. :(
19
20 robbat2, I initially emailed on gentoo-dev
21 (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gentoo-dev&m=105362815721103&w=2) posing
22 this very question and got this reply
23 (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gentoo-dev&m=105362905522592&w=2) which I
24 obeyed but to no avail. I have also looked unsuccessfully many times on
25 #gentoo for apache and php devs.
26
27 Here's the scenario. If after reading you still feel I should file a bug
28 then I'll do so. There are two issues at hand here. Firstly, there's an
29 inconsistency with versioning. Imagine a freshly installed gentoo desktop
30 (not server) system without apache installed. The system has ~x86 set but
31 not apache2 since the user does not wish to use apache2. He (or she) then
32 proceeds to 'emerge apache mod_php'. Now bearing in mind that the apache2
33 use flag is *not* set this now emerges apache2 but then proceeds to
34 compile mod_php *without* apache2 support. Doesn't this seem like a
35 complete contradiction?
36
37 (-) I suggest policy be rethought on this matter and that consistency be
38 achieved so that mod_php is compiled with support for the version of
39 apache that it is intended to accompany.
40
41 (-) Should apache2 really be installed as default on ~x86 given the number
42 of problems that myself and other users on forums have suffered,
43 especially, when the apache2 flag is unset? I realise that use flags do
44 not determine package installation but only optional support but this is
45 to provide some food for thought.
46
47 The second issue here is about what went wrong. On machine 1, my desktop,
48 apache1 was already installed and when I moved to ~x86, apache2 was
49 automatically emerged during updates. So I recompiled mod_php with
50 support for apache2. I ran the ebuild /var/db/... config commands and
51 restarted apache2 but got some errors. I tried a few modifications but
52 once again got some other errors. I don't have the errors to hand anymore
53 but can try to reproduce sometime if you wish. On machine 2, apache had
54 never been installed and so I added apache2 to use flags and emerged
55 apache2 and mod_php. Then following instructions I ran:
56
57 $ ebuild /var/db/pkg/dev-php/mod_php-4.3.1-r3/mod_php-4.3.1-r3.ebuild config
58
59 and got:
60 /usr/sbin/ebuild.sh: line 88: //usr/sbin/apacheaddmod: No such file or
61 directory
62
63 Incidentally, I have just tried to emerge mod_php again and got:
64 ----
65 $ emerge mod_php
66 Calculating dependencies ...done!
67 >>> emerge (1 of 1) dev-php/mod_php-4.3.1-r3 to /
68 >>> md5 src_uri ;-) php-4.3.1.tar.bz2
69 >>> Unpacking source...
70 * This ebuild is intended for ~x86 testing presently. Heavy testing welcome.
71 * It should be stable for nearly systems.
72 >>> Unpacking php-4.3.1.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/mod_php-4.3.1-r3/work
73 * Applying fix for PEAR world writable files
74 [ ok ]
75 * Cannot find $EPATCH_SOURCE! Value for $EPATCH_SOURCE is:
76 *
77 * /usr/portage/distfiles/php-4.3.1-db4.diff.gz
78 !!! ERROR: dev-php/mod_php-4.3.1-r3 failed.
79 !!! Function epatch, Line 181, Exitcode 0
80 !!! Cannot find $EPATCH_SOURCE!
81 ----
82
83 I would really appreciate some official documentation on how to get
84 apache2 working with mod_php and mod_ssl and also the subtle differences
85 between apache1&2. Following the current desktop configuration guide and
86 ebuild postinst works for apache1 but not for 2. I'd also be curious to
87 hear your thoughts about the versioning issues.
88
89 With regards
90 Dhruba Bandopadhyay
95 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list