From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: GLEP 42 (news) Round Seven
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 21:26:33
1 Jan Kundrát posted <43BEA2C1.2050902@g.o>, excerpted below, on
2 Fri, 06 Jan 2006 18:02:57 +0100:
3
4 > Duncan wrote:
5 >> My thinking too, until I saw the portage dev (JStubbs?) mention it wasn't
6 >> needed.
7 >>
8 >> I believe the thinking is that emerge --ask is basically emerge --pretend
9 >> with an opportunity to continue stuck on the end, thus eliminating running
10 >> the same command only without the --pretend again, therefore eliminating
11 >> running portage's dep calculation step twice, once for the pretend, then
12 >> again for the run.
13 >
14 > Okay, but I'd say that Portage internals like if the the same code gets
15 > used by --ask and --pretend are not relevant for this GLEP. Why don't
16 > add a note specifying the correct behavior?
17
18 Because that code will be implemented in portage, and the portage dev
19 likely to implement it said it was a superfluous reference. =8^)
20
21 Still, I'd prefer it referenced just for definition's sake, but when the
22 portage dev says it isn't a superfluous reference, and that particular
23 section is specifying portage implementation...
28 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
29 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list