From: "Chad M. Huneycutt" <chad.huneycutt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Overriding the sandbox, or ...
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 17:09:50
1 monkey wrote:
2 > ... how can I get something installed in /usr/sbin? This will probably
3 > open up a can of worms, but here I go. I want to change the ebuild for
4 > iptables-1.2.6a to install with the prefix "/usr". Why, well I feel that
5 > it is more FHS-compliant since the reasoning in the ebuild states that
6 > things were moved back to /sbin and /lib to help people with netmounted
7 > /usr systems get things working properly. I take exception to that on two
8 > points: one, iptables is firewalling code and nothing more, and two, no
9 > firewall should have netmounted systems. The FHS recommends keeping / as
10 > free of things as possible. Only applications needed to repair filesystems
11 > and get simple communication going are recommended for install in /. Since
12 > no firewall should have any netmounted filesystems, I don't see the
13 > validity in the argument for moving everything into /sbin and /lib.
14 > However, changing the ebuild to fix this results in a "sandbox violation"
15 > and the emerge fails. So, how can I bypass the sandbox for my iptables
16 > install? This is not a swipe at the maintainer, I just have a different
17 > opinion of where I want my userspace firewall code to live. Thanks for any
18 > pointers.
19
20 I don't understand. Why can't you just change whatever it is in the
21 iptables ebuild that specifies prefix=/ to prefix=/usr ? (this may require
22 changing more than just the ./configure stuff). You didn't say exactly
23 what you are trying to do to effect this, but it must be wrong. You will
24 only get sandbox violations if you try to install stuff outside the sandbox
25 before the merge stage, and that is always wrong (unless you have a darn
26 good reason). Remember that first the iptables stuff will be installed to
27 ${D}/usr/sbin and ${D}/usr/lib, and then will be merged into the real file
28 system.
29
30 Chad (chadh@g.o)