From: Sam Jorna <wraeth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Transitioning from #!/sbin/runscript to,#!/sbin/openrc-run
Date: Wed, 04 May 2016 09:42:36
1 On Wed, May 04, 2016 at 10:57:44AM +0200, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > On 05/04/2016 10:52 AM, Sam Jorna wrote:
3 > > On Wed, May 04, 2016 at 10:00:05AM +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 > >>>>>>> On Wed, 4 May 2016, Austin English wrote:
5 > >>
6 > >>>> Your list of affected packages obtained with "git grep" in the
7 > >>>> Portage tree will not be complete, since the command won't catch
8 > >>>> any init scripts installed from elsewhere. You should look for the
9 > >>>> set of installed files instead.
10 > >>
11 > >>> How is that relevant here at all? I'm cleaning up portage installed
12 > >>> init scripts, [...]
13 > >>
14 > >> You are cleaning up only those init scripts that are installed from
15 > >> FILESDIR, but you will miss the ones that are installed from a file
16 > >> in SRC_URI.
17 > >
18 > > Perhaps an alternate way to do it would be to have a QA check look at
19 > > any files installed to ${D}etc/init.d/ and throw a warning if their
20 > > shebang is "#!/sbin/runscript"
23 > A repoman check is a much saner approach, I'm not convinced there is
24 > sufficient need for this change to begin with, in particular to start
25 > touching a wide range of packages. Breaking backwards compatibility in
26 > any way should have a darn good reason, and I haven't seen one yet
27
28 I'm not arguing for or against it in general, just in terms of technical
29 implementation.
30
31 That being said, a repoman check would only catch those distributed in
32 ${FILESDIR} as well. My thinking with the above was to also identify
33 those installed from distfiles to be handled accordingly.
36 Sam Jorna (wraeth)
37 GnuPG Key: D6180C26