From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] preference concerns over "gentoo-ization" of packages
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 18:32:20
1 On Sunday 28 September 2003 18:24, foser wrote:
2 >
3 > I don't know why this happens, but if it's really a sensible default
4 > there is no need to have a USE flag. Again the few users that need to
5 > have this another way can easily adapt the ebuild to their needs.
6 >
7 > I can only describe this one way : you think like KDE-ers do. Thats why
8 > it has this overabundance of settings which only works confusing. I know
9 > for the tinkerers out there it's great, but for the general Joe HomeUser
10 > or Jane OfficeAdmin it's pointless. The tinkerers can do the tinkering
11 > themselves, we don't have to hold their hands.
12
13 I think that many of the gentoo users and developers are like me in comming to
14 gentoo from running Linux From Scratch. Gentoo is started out as a tinckerers
15 distro. It is not gentoo's main point of view to be a distro for linux
16 newbees. And indeed, I'm more a kde kind of person than a gnome one. I really
17 really dislike the fact that in gnome it is very hard to make it do what YOU
18 want, not what the developers wanted. I also really dislike the ok, cancel
19 button reversal in gnome.
20
21 I don't think tinkerers need their hands held. However before LFS I ran
22 redhat. Do you know how difficult they make it to do any tinkering. Mandrake
23 etc. are even worse. I think tinkering should never be inhibited by patches
24 from gentoo. I want to be able to read a howto from the LDP and know that as
25 long as they don't talk about redhat or any other specific distro, it works
26 for me in that way, and that when it doesn't, and I want it to work in that
27 way, I can easilly make it work in that way without actually needing to edit
28 any ebuild. Editing ebuilds creates a maintenance hell. You either need to
29 never update, or edit the new one everytime there is an update.
30
31 Further wenn I were to review an application or, say, gnome. I would install
32 it, but I would certainly not want any gentoo customizations (I'm reviewing
33 gnome, not gentoo). I think there are enough cases for having a vanilla
34 useflag. I do agree with you that we don't want dozens of them. For that we
35 will get sticky use variables.
36
37 Paul
40 Paul de Vrieze