From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: 0xd34df00d@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Depending on clang as a compiler
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 08:52:59
1 Dnia 2014-02-26, o godz. 12:26:06
2 Georg Rudoy <0xd34df00d@×××××.com> napisał(a):
3
4 > I'm currently considering using C++14 in my project, particularly
5 > features that aren't supported by gcc 4.8 and are barely supported by
6 > 4.9 [1], but the standard is already fully supported by clang 3.4 [2].
7 > Thus I wonder how bad is actually depending on recent clang in
8 > ebuilds?
9
10 Well, you should note that DEPENDing on sys-devel/clang is currently
11 implemented as USE=clang in sys-devel/llvm (please don't depend on that
12 directly, we will split it back ASAP). So if someone doesn't have clang
13 enabled, he'd hit portage telling him to enable the flag.
14
15 Good news is that you won't take people by surprise, i.e. they will
16 notice that you're forcing them to use clang. Bad news is that it won't
17 be as transparent as you wished it was.
20 Best regards,
21 Michał Górny