From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: Leno Hou <lenohou@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-powerpc@l.g.o, "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Introduce ppc64le architecture into gentoo ! please share your comments
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 07:47:25
1 On 12 Aug 2015 15:20, Leno Hou wrote:
2 > 2. How to control endian difference via profiles ? i.e. *How to get
3 > ppc64le as a full stage/profile along side ppc64* ?
4 > Could you give me in detail ?
5
6 you probably want to create a new profile dir:
7 profiles/arch/powerpc/ppc64/little-endian/
8 then add a make.defaults file with the right CHOST defaults. as we find
9 packages that have problems on little endian, that provides you a safe
10 space to mask features too.
11
12 then create a new target for linux users:
13 profiles/default/linux/powerpc/ppc64/13.0/64bit-userland/little-endian/
14 that'll inherit the arch/powerpc/ppc64/little-endian parent
15
16 > 3. ppc64 already have stage3, why ppc64le tends to only be used in
17 > embedded setups ?
18
19 i said "ppc little endian", not "ppc64le". historically speaking, ppc64le
20 hasn't been a thing, and the only people doing ppc little endian are 32bit
21 embedded users. that doesn't mean we can't make stages/iso for both.
22
23 > 4. I would like become a developer of porting gentoo on ppc64le. Anyone
24 > could help/mentor me to join this project ?
25
26 ideally someone on the ppc side would pick you up, but i think they've been
27 a bit of a skeleton team of late. so if need be, i can help you here.
28
29 > 5. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Porting The Section 'Converting to
30 > Gentoo' needs to be updated.
31 > From portage-2.2.20 on, please download portage and install it by
32 > 'python setup.py install'
33
34 you mean my bootstrap-portage script ?
35
36 > **Most importantly, Any Ideas/steps of how to porting gentoo on ppc64le
37 > architecture?**
38
39 do you have hardware ? then it's simply a matter of booting Gentoo in it and
40 filing/fixing bugs :).
41 -mike