From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Einput eclass
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 20:51:23
1 On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 09:39:14PM +0200, Luca Longinotti wrote:
2 > John Jawed wrote:
3 > > Below is a link to an "enhanced input" eclass as well as a screenshot.
4 > > This eclass was made to simplify interacting with the user at
5 > > pkg_config().
6 >
7 > This is a good idea imo, it could really simplify and help with
8 > pkg_config stuff, think of dev-db/mysql or others who need to ask
9 > questions, passwords etc., this would help doing that in a simple,
10 > standardized way. Maintainance is no problem, I'm willing to put this
11 > eclass in the tree and maintain it myself for now, and when John will
12 > become a full Gentoo dev (this is already scheduled, he'll help out on
13 > PostgreSQL related stuff in the near future), he can take it over
14 > directy... Any objections to this wandering into the tree? Suggestions,
15 > ideas? Thanks!
16
17 Examples of converted ebuilds would be wise prior to plopping it into
18 the tree imo- fex, displayConfirmPrompt looks like it should be
19 reliant on exit codes rather then mangling a global var to indicate
20 the outcome; that would shift it more towards "get confirmation"
21 rather then display.
22
23 Hence Why I think examples would be useful- eclass api can only be
24 extended once it's in the tree. I'd go and build up consumers of the
25 eclass to
26 A) show off
27 B) find the weak spots in your eclass api _now_ rather then having to
28 do an einput{1..N}.eclass
29
30 Aside from that, not sure about the RC_NOCOLOR fiddling in initInput-
31 haven't checked, but that should be handled by ebuild.sh already via
32 the profile sourcing.
33
34 ~harring