From: "Derek J. Belrose" <derek@×××××××××.com>
To: Cedric Veilleux <cedric@×××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GUI installer
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 09:30:00
1 The only real way I can think of is to do some checks on if X is
2 running, and if it is, use a graphical toolkit for X...if not, use a
3 terminal based kit like ncurses.
4
5 I like this idea. I should download a liveCD to throw some code on and
6 do tests.
7
8 Is anyone against pyGTK or something like it? pyQT? wxPython?
9
10 Is anyone against python? :)
11
12 Cedric Veilleux wrote:
13
14 >Why not simply use gentoo's livecd?
15 >
16 >The livecd can boot the user into a fully loaded console or X workstation,
17 >with all the tools needed.
18 >
19 >The installer could be an additional tool on the liveCD system.. Anybody knows
20 >a GUI abstration toolkit that can generate either terminal based or X based
21 >interface, depending on what's available at runtime?
22 >
23 >This way the same installer could be used if X is not working or can't be
24 >used.
25 >
26 >In both environment (terminal / X), multitasking would be possible so
27 >experienced users could perform manual tasks while the installer is waiting
28 >for input..
31 >Just my 2 cents,
32 >
33 >Cedric