From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] net-libs/xulrunner-1.9 slotting or not?
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 06:26:52
1 Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> posted 47DCBE68.5000109@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Sun, 16 Mar 2008 07:30:00 +0100:
3
4 > Raúl Porcel wrote:
5 >> Xulrunner-1.9 is a big change, and the apps using it won't work until
6 >> they are fixed. So this needs to be decided, i've been working on
7 >> slotting xulrunner, and i'm ready to put it in the tree. However i'd
8 >> like to see what developers(since they will be the ones who will have
9 >> to deal with this) and users prefer. Even if an app is compatible with
10 >> xulrunner-1.9, it will have to be patched if we slot xulrunner. Since
11 >> the pkgconfig files for xulrunner-1.9 are renamed to avoid collisions
12 >> with current xulrunner-1.8.
13 >> The other approach would be not slotting it, p.mask xulrunner-1.9 and
14 >> wait until all the packages work against it and then unmask.
15 >
16 > Given the number of applications I'd rather have them fixed with the
17 > patches pushed to respective upstreams if we got there first.
18
19 Thanks for the wisdom of asking about this, Raul. Given the way you
20 worded things, it looks like the consensus is heading a way other than
21 you might have expected.
22
23 Unslotted xulrunner seems to be the consensus, so we aren't committing to
24 "forever" maintain patches ourselves -- on a package-base that may well
25 expand over time.
26
27 Some questions. What's the possibility of getting upstream to handle the
28 renaming, thereby making slotting much easier while eliminating the
29 "eternal" patch commitment? Has the issue even been brought up with
30 mozilla-upstream? I know they aren't always the most receptive to
31 community suggestions, but it's worth asking, anyway.
32
33 How many packages are we talking about? Regardless of how we go, fixing
34 ten is going to be far easier than a hundred, or five hundred.
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
42 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list