From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for changes for the next EAPI version
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 11:26:44
1 On 05/17/2016 06:01 AM, Pallav Agarwal wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > You are right, of course.
4 > The target is to standardize something that would encourage maintainers
5 > to actually provide non-upstream scripts to test packages. At the same
6 > time, it should be possible to use those scripts for automated testing
7 > without
8 > human interference.
11 We already have "emerge --config" which is expected to be run after the
12 install process has completed, so I don't think that this is too much of
13 a stretch. Maybe call the phase "pkg_test" analogous to "pkg_config" and
14 in contrast to "src_test" which runs within the working directory. Then
15 "emerge --test" could run it.
16
17 I stole the Emacs "test plan" idea for a few Haskell packages:
18
19 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Haskell/Test_plans
20
21 These do go a little beyond the scope of unit tests: they check that we
22 installed the package in the right place, that it's available to your
23 ghci interpreter, and that we haven't installed some other library with
24 a name collision.
25
26 Some of them have predictable output (like when we hash a string), but
27 others might cause some trouble. The expected output for hscolour is
28 "you should see a syntax-highlighted version of Example.hs echoed to
29 your terminal." I don't care what colors show up, as long as that happens.
30
31 Still, even if it doesn't work in 100% of cases, I think it could be
32 useful. Some people may have inflated ideas of what the stabilization
33 process currently involves. In many cases, it's a compile/execute test
34 with no expected results and that could easily be automated even if it's
35 not the world's best stabilization process.