From: Tom Martin <slarti@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Pinboard of outdated ports
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 14:47:44
1 On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 12:47:51AM +0200, Johannes Weiner <hnaz@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 08:46:51PM +0100, Tom Martin wrote:
3 > > On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 07:11:38PM +0200, Johannes Weiner <hnaz@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
4 > > > * More staff needed
5 > > > Despite the autodeletion of uptodate packages there has to be
6 > > > someone attending the list. Remove real spam or uptodate packages
7 > > > where the targetversion is principally right but not in the correct
8 > > > format, so the autodeletion doesn't match.
9 > >
10 > > How does it fit in with metadata.xml, and the maintainers and herds
11 > > listed therein?
12 >
13 > I don't get the context. Why metadata.xml? And why maintainers and herds
14 > listed?
15
16 Well, if this just creates an entry to the list with no mention of the
17 email address of the maintainer, if given in metadata.xml, then it's
18 pretty pointless in my opinion as no-one but the maintainer could/should
19 bump software unless you've got a go-ahead from the maintainer or there
20 are exceptional circumstances.
21
22 My request is that when a new entry is added to the list, the software
23 used checks the package's metadata.xml and includes the herd and
24 maintainer on the list. If there is a maintainer specified, it sends an
25 email to the maintainer.
26
27 Maybe it would be better to tell maintainers to just subscribe to
28 projects on freshmeat?
29
30 Hope that makes sense now,
31 Tom
34 Tom Martin, http://dev.gentoo.org/~slarti
35 AMD64, net-mail, shell-tools, vim, recruiters
36 Gentoo Linux