From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo Linux preinstalled
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 07:22:28
1 Stefan Schweizer posted
2 <e79639220510131433u5bf59b36r8be28c93ab576c01@××××××××××.com>, excerpted
3 below, on Thu, 13 Oct 2005 23:33:57 +0200:
4
5 > I want to preinstall Gentoo Linux on some devices for customers. Do
6 > you have any tips for preinstallation, any scripts? What is the
7 > correct prcedure of doing so?
8 > Anyone knows of something like a "sysprep" script for linux that will
9 > ask the costumer for user and passwort setup when he first switches
10 > on the PC?
11 >
12 > On the technical side what I am currently doing is taking a normal
13 > setup, cleaning up distfiles, /usr/src, /tmp, /home, creating a new
14 > usser without any files of my own ;)
15 > cleaning out all my passwords of /etc.
16 > partimageing the partition, and dd'ing grub and sfdisking the partition table.
17 > Then playing back the images on the HDs I want to put into the devices later.
18
19 This is what the catalyst application does -- allow one to make their own
20 customized LiveCD installers*, just like Gentoo does with each periodic
21 snapshot release. The ebuild is in portage, and there's a catalyst
22 specific mailing list, should you have any questions.
23
24 ---
25
26 * Presumably, they don't have to be CDs or CD images, but I've never used
27 it personally and haven't chanced to see that specifically stated in
28 threads such as this that I've come across, so can't say for sure.
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
34 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list