From: Mark Henderson <mark@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] bug reports & impressions on first gentoo install
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 05:45:43
1 Hi Gentoo Team,
2
3 I just completed my first gentoo install over the weekend, and have a
4 few comments (or bug reports) that might make it easier for others in
5 future. I realise that Gentoo is pre version 1, but of course it can't
6 hurt to point out things that might be needed to get us there (if others
7 agree).
8
9 1) Documentation
10 ----------------
11 Firstly let me say that the standard of the documentation is excellent.
12 However, I ran into a few problems with http://www.gentoo.org/doc/build.html
13
14 a) many of the important notes and comments appear beneath the code
15 listing they refer to, as apposed to before. This makes it too easy to
16 only see them after running the commands in question (I got caught when
17 compiling the kernel, and had to redo this when I read further down
18 about items such as devfs that had to be included). This is easily
19 fixed, and I'd be happy to take it on.
20 b) I think some of the notes and code listings might be slightly out of
21 sync with the current build process. (e.g. fstab - code listing 25 -
22 refers to /dev/hda1, dev/hda2, etc, while the fstab the build process
23 created for me has "/dev/BOOT", "dev/ROOT", "/dev/SWAP". I left this as
24 is, assuming it was a devfs way of doing things. I could be wrong though!)
25 c) The default "fstab" provided seems to assuming the use of ReiserFS
26 for the boot and root partitions. This seems to be out of date, and is
27 certainly confusing. I've used ext2 for /boot and ext3 for / and it
28 would have been _very_ helpful to have the correct parameters included
29 for each file system, allowing me to simply uncomment what I need.
30 Something along the lines of:
31
32 # Uncomment appropriate line, depending on required filesystem
33 #/dev/BOOT /boot ext2 parameters???? 1 1
34 #/dev/BOOT /boot ext3 parameters???? 1 1
35 #/dev/BOOT /boot reisferfs parameters???? 1 1
36
37 #/dev/ROOT / ext2 parameters???? 1 1
38 #/dev/ROOT / ext3 parameters???? 1 1
39 #/dev/ROOT / reisferfs parameters???? 1 1
40
41 d) Code listing 29: what is recommended - compiling network driver as
42 module or not? This could be dealt w/ in the section on compiling the
43 kernel, and could therefore be potentially made redundant
44 e) Code listing 32 seems to be redundant, as the same command is run in
45 30 or 31.
46 f) Code lsiting 36 should comment out the NT Workstation option in the
47 sample grub conf, and make it more clear that it is for people
48 dual-booting. Once again, I got caught here with the naming of the file,
49 only reading the note that followed after creating the file (but was
50 able to rename it, of course).
51
52 2) Bootstrap
53 ----------
54 a) I bootstrapped over a 56k modem, and it would have made a huge
55 difference to the time taken if the required files could have been
56 downloaded in the background while compilation continued in the
57 forground, rather than having things happen in serial.
58 b) No mention was made regarding using mirrors in the documention for
59 the bootstrap process, although I've now discovered this would have been
60 possible (but would not have helped me in particular).
61
62 3) Errors
63 ------
64 a) In code listing 37 I was not able to "umount /mnt/gentoo" as it said
65 it was busy
66
67 4) Using Gentoo
68 --------------
69 These comments might be due to my not being a Linux guru just yet, but
70 anyway...
71
72 a) The SSH host keys had not been created, although SSH seemed to be
73 installed. After consulting the man page, I fugured out how to create
74 them, and was then able to start SSH and log into the box via SSH. I
75 subsequently discovered by chance that there is a script
76 ("/etc/init.d/ssh") that would have created these keys for me. Should
77 this not have been done as part of the installation process? (or at
78 least documented?).
79 b) Packages such as SSH, Apache, MySQL, etc, that I have installed using
80 emerge (sshd was already installed) do not start automatically when the
81 machine reboots. I have also noticed that there is not inet.d or xinet.d
82 installed by default. It's likely that this is all the desired
83 behaviour, but coming from Redhat, it has me slight confused.
84 c) I'm getting some error messages during the boot process, but they
85 scroll off the screen before I can see them, and I can't find them in
86 any log files (I installed metalog).
87
88 Well, that's it for now. I hope some of this has been useful. I'm
89 looking forward to getting to know Gentoo and its community better.
90
91 Cheers,
92 Mark