From: Grant Goodyear <goodyea@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] bug reports & impressions on first gentoo install
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 15:10:56
1 > Firstly let me say that the standard of the documentation is excellent.
2
3 Thanks!
4
5 > a) many of the important notes and comments appear beneath the code
6 > listing they refer to, as apposed to before. This makes it too easy to
7 > only see them after running the commands in question (I got caught when
8 > compiling the kernel, and had to redo this when I read further down
9 > about items such as devfs that had to be included). This is easily
10 > fixed, and I'd be happy to take it on.
11
12 Didn't anybody ever tell you to read the documentation all-the-way-
13 through first? *Grin* Less flippantly, I think most of the Note/
14 Important/Warning blocks are placed correctly -- one generally wants
15 to put notes after the bare-bones commands.
16
17 > Something along the lines of:
18 >
19 > # Uncomment appropriate line, depending on required filesystem
20 > #/dev/BOOT /boot ext2 parameters???? 1 1
21 > #/dev/BOOT /boot ext3 parameters???? 1 1
22 > #/dev/BOOT /boot reisferfs parameters???? 1 1
23 >
24 > #/dev/ROOT / ext2 parameters???? 1 1
25 > #/dev/ROOT / ext3 parameters???? 1 1
26 > #/dev/ROOT / reisferfs parameters???? 1 1
27
28 I'll let drobbins make that decision. I did update the docs to
29 accurately reflect the current fstab, however. Thanks!
30
31 > d) Code listing 29: what is recommended - compiling network driver as
32 > module or not? This could be dealt w/ in the section on compiling the
33 > kernel, and could therefore be potentially made redundant
34
35 We don't make a recommendation; it depends on the needs/desires of
36 the users.
37
38 > e) Code listing 32 seems to be redundant, as the same command is run in
39 > 30 or 31.
40
41 Yep. Thanks. I've zapped it.
42
43 > f) Code lsiting 36 should comment out the NT Workstation option in the
44 > sample grub conf, and make it more clear that it is for people
45 > dual-booting. Once again, I got caught here with the naming of the file,
46 > only reading the note that followed after creating the file (but was
47 > able to rename it, of course).
48
49 Note about dual booting added.
50
51 > 2) Bootstrap
52 > ----------
53 > a) I bootstrapped over a 56k modem, and it would have made a huge
54 > difference to the time taken if the required files could have been
55 > downloaded in the background while compilation continued in the
56 > forground, rather than having things happen in serial.
57
58 We're working on this functionality. For the moment you can do
59 "emerge --fetchonly"; see "emerge --help" (I _really_ need to update
60 our portage man pages one of these days.)
61
62 > b) No mention was made regarding using mirrors in the documention for
63 > the bootstrap process, although I've now discovered this would have been
64 > possible (but would not have helped me in particular).
65
66 True. I'm not quite sure what to say about it, however. Nonetheless,
67 I've added a note about make.globals to the docs.
68
69 > a) In code listing 37 I was not able to "umount /mnt/gentoo" as it said
70 > it was busy
71
72 Fixed.
73
74 > a) The SSH host keys had not been created, although SSH seemed to be
75 > installed. After consulting the man page, I fugured out how to create
76 > them, and was then able to start SSH and log into the box via SSH. I
77 > subsequently discovered by chance that there is a script
78 > ("/etc/init.d/ssh") that would have created these keys for me. Should
79 > this not have been done as part of the installation process? (or at
80 > least documented?).
81
82 Nope. Running the start-up script will create the host keys, but people
83 may have their own way of doing things, so host keys are _not_ created
84 at installation.
85
86 > b) Packages such as SSH, Apache, MySQL, etc, that I have installed using
87 > emerge (sshd was already installed) do not start automatically when the
88 > machine reboots. I have also noticed that there is not inet.d or xinet.d
89 > installed by default. It's likely that this is all the desired
90 > behaviour, but coming from Redhat, it has me slight confused.
91
92 That behaviour is, indeed, by design. We try to turn on as little as
93 possible by default, thereby minimizing security risks.
94
95 > c) I'm getting some error messages during the boot process, but they
96 > scroll off the screen before I can see them, and I can't find them in
97 > any log files (I installed metalog).
98
99 We don't really have a good way of capturing error info. Such a huge
100 amount of info is generated during bootstrap + emerge system that
101 it doesn't seem useful to try to dump all of that into a log.
102
103 Welcome to Gentoo!
104
105 -g2boojum-
106 --
108 | Grant Goodyear | The Secrets of Physics: |
109 | Dept. of Chemistry - Clemson U |1. Add zero. |
110 | Clemson, SC 29634 |2. Multiply by one. |
111 |-------------------------------------|3. Expand in a Taylor series|
112 |e-mail: goodyea@×××××××.edu |4. Integrate by parts. |
113 |www:g2.ces.clemson.edu/~grant |5. Fourier transform. |
114 | |6. Add auxiliary variables |